Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tsk, Tsk. Neglectful Wench

Greetings, all. And welcome to a glorious new year of Pagan gardening, cooking, eating and food preservation.

Most of us are doing our bit for Haiti relief but I really must commend one of our local vegetarian restaurants. Rosetta's in Asheville does a marvelous cauldron of soup benefit most Sunday evenings. There's an enormous cauldron on a tripod, set over a gas flame. And there's fresh cornbread.

All of this is for a donation and it is an odd and wonderful group of folks, never the same from week to week.

Last week and this week, Haiti relief was the recipient.

So it is possible to do good, eat right and have a happy tummy.

I am sorry to report that the sub-zero weather here destroyed my fall-planted greens a couple of weeks ago. And now we are having The Deluge. So my dreams of early spinach, kale, collards and lettuce are a little thin on the ground--quite literally--these days.

Still, we soldier on, don't we?

What are you cooking and/or eating these days, hmmm?

1 comment:

  1. I have been doing the "Paleo Diet" (aka Caveman Diet which is what I tend to call it!) for two weeks now. Basic premise: no foods that were not part of human diet 10,000 years ago. So, no dairy, no grains, no legumes and definitely no sugar or processed foods. Funnily, one popular book on this diet says you can have diet soda! Hmmm... Also there are open meals where you can have anything and there is a small alcohol allowance. So it's a lifestyle thing more than a diet.

    So far, I have been mainly avoiding bread, cheese and pasta, which I tend to eat a lot of. Also no sweets or junk food. Mostly eating meat, fish and chicken, eggs, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and nuts and seeds. An occasional bowl of Cheerios with milk and sliced banana seems to do no harm, and yesterday I had corn tortilla chips with fresh-made guacamole. So far, I feel good: lighter and less bloated and the added energy that comes from good digestion. I've lost a couple of pounds. I'm going to keep it up for a while.

    ReplyDelete