Monday, August 24, 2009

Are My Feet Clean Enough To Stomp These Grapes?

Fortunately for all concerned, I will not be dancing on today's grape harvest but I will be making them into wine. I've cleaned about 4 pounds of them so far, with more to do tomorrow. Then into the ale pail they go, with the requisite water, sugar and yeast.

Ah, simple pleasures.

This is only my second year as a wine-maker. We had such an abundant crop last year that I was faced with the daunting prospect of making grapes into jelly, jam, conserve, ketchup. I have tried many hot and sticky ways to process the grape.

Friends suggested I give wine a try and we did, figuring that we'd never eat 5 gallons of jelly. But we would drink 5 gallons of even so-so wine.

It turned out pretty yummy, if a little grapey. They are concords, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment