Saturday, July 11, 2009

Middle Eastern Food in the Western NC Mountains

Yes, home is the hunter, home from the hill. This was my first Saturday back on Terra Firma and I had to get in the kitchen and do the do. Firstly, hummus. My favorite brand of hummus is Sabra's and it is smooth and delectable and difficult to find and a little pricey.

So Mommy bought some chickpeas and some tahini and Googled some recipes et voila! It is some good hummus.

Next, tabouli. We love to use big fat kamut for this dish. I simmer it in some water until almost tender and then toss it with olive oil, salt, minced onions and parsley. (If there are ripe maters in the garden I also use one of those. Not yet, not yet.)

When I went out to the weed-laden garden to get onions, I noticed the basil.

Next, pesto. The usual suspects--gorgeous basil, olive oil, a drop or two of water, a bit of salt, a dash of lemon juice.

My house smells like a deli.

Then I sauteed some chicken and onions, placed it on a bed of pesto and served it with tabouli on a bed of lettuce and thin planks of foccacia. Homemade red wine.

Life, as they say, is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment